CHALO MARA RASODAMA – Virtual cookery demonstration by JSM members
- Mug ni Dal na Pudla
- Thai Green Curry
- Fafda Recipe
- Bhaidku Recipe
- Classic Scones
- Dalgona Coffee
Instant Chocolate Mug Cake
- Kachri Bateta
- Monaco biscuit starter
Recipes of Session 1 and Session 2
1) Moong ni Dal na Pudla –
Vegetables – Pepper, spinach ,corianderProcedure:1) Rinse 1 cup moong dal 3 to 4 times in water.2) 2. Then soak moong dal with 2 to 3 cups of water for about 3 to 4 hours.3) The moong dal will swell or double up in size. Discard the water.4) Add the moong dal in a grinder jar. Add some Ginger and chilli Grind with ¼ cup of water. Don’t add too much water else the moong dal won’t grind very well. In case you are not able to grind the moong lentils very well, then you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons more water. Grind to a smooth batter.5) add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chili powder and salt add as required.7)Stir and mix well very well. Keep aside.8)Chop coriander leaves, mix pepper chop , spinach chop9) Add the chopped ingredients to the moong dal batter.10)mix very well.11)Heat the pan. This is important as the pan has to be hot before you make the pudlaAdd a scoopful of batter towards the center of the pan12) just rotate the batter with the back of spatula giving a round and even shape. Cook chilla on a medium flame.13 )Cook chilla on a medium flame.14)Cook the chillas on medium flame. After a minute they will look crisp and brown.
2) Thai Green Curry – Dr Siddharth ShahThe ingredients For gravy1) lemon grass
2) 2-3 cloves of garlic
3) 1 onion
4) thumb size ginger
8) dhaniya powder (dhana jiroo powder)For curryOil
Vegetables – paper, baby corn, mangetout, carrot, broccoli
(You can use paneer or tofu for vegan option)
Coconut milkFirst make gravy use mixer and make pasteMake curry and stir that and add gravy to the curry and add water as necessary and cook for few mins and then serve.
3). Fafda Recipe – Naina S Mehta
4) Bhaidku Recipe – Raju Shah
3) Classic scones served with jam & clotted cream – Asha Mehta
PREP 15 mins
COOK 12 – 15mins (golden brown)
MAKES Serves 8
350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
85g butter, cut into cubes
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
squeeze lemon juice (see Know-how below)
Milk to glaze
jam and clotted cream, to serve
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7.
- Tip 350g self-raising flour into a large mixing bowl, add ¼ tsp salt and 1 tsp baking powder, then mix.
- Add 85g butter cubes, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs then stir in 3 tbsp caster sugar.
- Put 175ml milk into a jug and heat in the microwave for about 30 secs until warm, but not hot.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice, then set aside for a moment.
- Put a baking sheet in oven tray.
- Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a cutlery knife – it will seem pretty wet at first.
- Scatter some flour onto the work surface and tip the dough out. Dredge the dough and your hands with a little more flour, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Pat into a round about 4cm deep.
- Take a 5cm cutter (smooth -edged cutters tend to cut more cleanly, giving a better rise) and dip it into some flour. Plunge into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. You may need to press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out another four.
- Brush the tops with a milk then carefully place onto the baking tray.
- Bake for 10 mins until risen and golden on the top. Eat just warm or cold on the day of baking, generously topped with jam and clotted cream.
- If freezing, freeze once cool. Defrost, then put in a low oven (about 160C/fan140C/gas 3) for a few mins to refresh.
6) Dalgona Coffee – Delisha Mehta
PREP 5 mins
COOK 5 – 10 mins
MAKES / Serves 2
1.5 to 2 tbsp instant coffee or espresso powder
2 to 4 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp very hot water
400 ml milk
- Add the instant coffee, sugar and hot water to a medium mixing bowl.
- Using an electric hand-held mixer, whip the coffee mixture until it is light brown, fluffy and holds stiff peaks when the whisk is removed.
- Pour the milk in the glass you want to serve (warm the milk, if desired).
- Spoon dollops of the frothed coffee mixture on top and smooth out with a spoon.
- Garnish as per what you like. Serve.
8) Instant Chocolate Mug Cake – Diya Mehta
INGREDIENTS- 1 serving
* 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 3 ½ tablespoons sugar
* 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
* 3 pinches baking powder
* 1 pinch salt
* 3 ½ tablespoons milk
* 1 tablespoon oil
* 3 tablespoons sprinkles
* Whipped cream
* Sliced strawberries
1. Combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and the salt into a bowl (the dry ingredients).
2. In a separate bowl combine the milk and the oil (the wet ingredients).
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stir to combine.
4. Add the baking powder to the mixture.
5. Pour it into your mug/serving bowl.
6. Microwave for 1½ minutes to 3 minutes- it depends on your microwave (you will know it is ready when a toothpick comes out of the cake clean).
7. Wait for the cake to cool.
8. Once cooled- top the cake with sliced strawberries, whipped cream and sprinkles.
9. Chill in the fridge- eat when desired.
9) Katchri Bateta (a speciality of Mombasa) – Rekha Patel
Ingredients for the potato gravy (for 3/4people)
250g baby potatoes, peeled and boiled. (baby new potatoes tin can be used)
1.5 tbsp oil
2 tbsp cornmeal
3 tbsp passata
1 tbsp tomato purée
Chilli powder, salt, turmeric powder to taste
Roughly 600g water
( can add crushed garlic and lemon to taste)
For the chutney
50g fresh coconut grated
Lemon, salt, coriander diced, green chillies crushed and water or yogurt as your preference.
Salted crisps and/ or tikha gathhia
1) Put one teaspoon of salt in the potatoes and leave it for 10 minutes, to allow salt to soak into the potatoes.
2) Heat oil in a large pan. Add cornmeal and stir for few minutes.
3) Add water and keep stirring on medium heat.
4) when gravy thickens add all the ingredients and let it cook for 5/10minutes.
Tips to thicken gravy
Add more cornmeal dissolved in hot water or add fresh mashed potato .
7) Mix ingredients for chutney and leave it covered in the fridge. This is served cold.
8) Serve in pasta bowls , topped with chutney, crisps and / or gathhia.
10) Monaco Biscuit Starter – Kirti Shah
Raw Banana – 2
Peppers – All colours – Red, Green and Yellow
Salt and Sugar
Pinch of Garam Masala and Sev
Chop very small chunks of peppers and coriander, grate cheese, chilli and ginger. Mix all ingredients and place small amount of mixture in between Monaco biscuits as a sandwich. Garnish with Sev and serve with tomato sauce.